Apr 19, 2012

Life As A UF Student Reporter

It’s hard to believe that the semester is already coming to a close and my time as a Gator undergrad is almost over. More importantly, my days as a student reporter in the College of Journalism and Communication will also come to an end. Over the past three years, I’ve had the opportunity to write for our Spanish radio news show, report for our NPR-affiliate radio station, and report for Florida’s 5 – WUFT TV. All these wonderful opportunities gave me hands-on experience of what life after graduation will be like.

I know how to pitch, write, shoot and edit both radio and TV pieces. And aside from all the technical aspects, I’ve learned about the pressures, tight deadlines, and relationships that come with being a reporter. I'll admit, there were times where I thought I was being over worked and having to put in ridiculous hours for reporting shifts or class projects. But no one ever said the life of a reporter was easy. I had to break in several pairs of shoes, build muscle when it came to carrying all that camera equipment around town, and put in a good couple hundred miles on my car-- all that just to get a story.

But being able to graduate students with a well-qualified demo-reel is something that the College of Journalism and Communications takes pride in. They also take pride in being a part of the latest and most innovative methods of communications and passing these skills along to their student- something made possible by the Center for Media Innovation and Research. Although the CMIR is still a work in progress, I’ve had the opportunity to experience the opening of its 21st Century Newsroom and Laboratory. Once all the construction is completed, I know the result will be a state-of –the-art newsroom where students will learn the latest techniques being used in the media industry (truth be told, I’m a bit jealous of the younger students who will be able to take advantage of this).

  Although wrapping up my days as a Telecomm student at UF is a bit depressing, I am so thankful for everything I have learned and all the many experiences I have gained through the College of Journalism and Communications. Graduation will definitely be a bitter-sweet day, but I'm looking forward to crossing that stage and joining the prestigious circle of Gator Grads. Go Gators! 


No comments:

Post a Comment